Building A Park From Waste (VIDEO included)

Contributed from the American Society of Landscape Architects. This video explains how to divert waste from demolishing buildings to create a new park.

In old style construction materials from torn-down buildings are dumped in a local landfill.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: 40% of construction material is now "recycled, reused, or sent to waste-to-energy facilities, while the remaining 60 % is sent to landfills."

Although it would be nice to reuse it all, special care needs to be used in Brownfield developments and contaminated sites. If no contaminates exist why not attempt to reuse all the building material, and create a new park out of old building materials? Reclaimed soils, concrete rubble, glass, wood, and steel can be reused or recycled to serve new aspects of the park, reducing greenhouse gas emissions in the process.